Ragging is a crime!!!
In view of the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in the matter of “University of Kerala Vs Council, Principals, Colleges & Others” in SLP no. 24295/2006 dated 16.05.2007 and dated 08.05.2009 in Civil Appeal no. 887/2009 and in consideration of the determination of Govt. of India and University Grants Commission to prohibits, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging, UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions in 2009 came to be issued and which were published in the Gazette of India on 04.07.2009. The said regulations are applicable on all the Institutions coming within the definition of University, Deemed University and all other Higher Educational Institutions, including GBPIET, Pauri Garhwal. Section 3 of said regulations provides that Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts :
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- Indulging in rowdy or Undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student
Ragging is totally prohibited in GBPIET Pauri Garhwal and if any student is found indulging in the activity of Ragging then severe action will be taken including lodging of FIR against such student/students. At the time of registration, students and their parents have given an undertaking that he/she will not indulge in any kind of activity which amounts to ragging. Thus, it is requested that all the students of the Institution will be watchful and help the administration in all possible ways to curb and root out ragging in all its forms. For this purpose and in case of any emergency, please contact at the following numbers/officials:
Institute Anti-ragging Helpline Numbers
Institute Main Gate/ Security Emergency Number
Faculty Incharge Security
On receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the administration of GBPIET shall immediately determine, if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, a FIR shall be lodged with Police and local authorities under the appropriate penal provisions relating to one or more of the following namely:
- Abetment to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to rag;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confinement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault, as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences;
- Extortion, criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any or all of the mentioned offences against the victims(s) ;
- Threat to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim (s) ;
- Physical or psychological humiliation;
- All other offences covered under the definition of “Ragging”.
Further, other than lodging FIR the administration shall punish a student found guilty of ragging and shall take an appropriate decision in regard to punishment or otherwise depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt and one or more of the following punishments may be awarded:
- Suspension from attending classes & academic privileges.
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarships/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the Institute in any regional, national or international meet, tournament youth festival etc.
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the Institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
- Expulsion from the Institutional and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specific period.
Dean Student welfare